Monday, August 13, 2012

August 13, 2012

Dear familY,

This week has been pretty good, we had a big change in the mission. President Lopez has been stressing asking references from members. This week he made a change that we dont have to talk to people in the streets or knock doors anymore, he wants us to do all our work through members because theres a higher rate of baptism and retention that way. So we started that and we have 10 questions we have to ask to every member we visit, it works really good.

We did have the storm hit near here on thursday. We knew about it from the start of the week because members told us and it rained a lot but nothing bad really happened. Nevertheless we were told to stay in our house while it hit. So yeah thats the biggest thing thats happened here this week besides the soccer game. We were walking along the streets that morning but every other house had the tv on and all tvs that were on had the soccer game so we knew when they won by way of yelling and cheering from the tvs.
 
Ok so the pictrues. Those kids dancing are the voladores and some of them spin around a tall pole from a rope.

Thats a road after the storm, lots of mud and rocks in the street.
 In Papantla there is lots of wells and people use them its pretty cool.
 
My shoe and pants with mud I was walking and stepped into a big mud hole thingy.
 A picture in a big taco shop, its so dirty there and they dont wash the dishes they just wipe them down with a rag it reminds me of moes tavern on the simpsons
 I drew a picture in my móle, I wanted to draw a frowny face because I got little dots or móle all over my shirt
 
  The last picture is my favorite. We were at a members house and I was looking at his dvds. I started opening them and realized the disks were all disks that you use to copy stuff at home. In that moment (and later comfermed by my companion) I learned that mexicans not only copy clothing brands like its no big deal but they pirate movies like its no big deal either. An elder told us some kids were watching ice age 4 and thats not even in theaters yet I think. That is crazy I dont know what to think about it. That particular dvd was the best copy because someone had taken the time to draw a train with a sharpie. Oh goodness it was funny when I found out.


So yeah thats about all thats going on here we had a big reference of a family of 6 and we went there and found out 11 live in the house and 2 are already baptized. Well it turned out most everyone doesnt want to listen to us but the dad who talks alot because hes old and one of his daughters who is baptized. Its great though because she has been inactive after her husband left her but she has been reading the Book of Mormon constantly. She told us it is her tie to the church and the gospel and thats great but we want to make it better by getting her to church and her 14 year old baptized. He works everyday all day though so Im not sure whats going to happen about that.

Thats crazy about the pears thats a ton for 1 tree. Hey I like where you guys put the new sheep barn thingy I hope it has a door on each end though or there might be some problems and dont forget to tell dad to make it so it lasts for a while. Maybe asking Brian to help would be best. Im glad to hear grandma and grandpa are doing good. Can grandma walk like normal yet? Hey also how is the railing on the front porch coming along the last I heard was jeffrey and trevor tore it down. Hey also also the member who was visiting his mom who lives in murrey should be getting home today so the letter with money should be at the house this week and a letter to grandma and a letter to chase and some other friends should be getting to them this week too because I sent them with an elder who is going home to idaho today. So yeah thats all I can think of right now. Hey dont forget to keep the pictures coming.

Oh yeah I remember now something funny. I remember a long time ago pila told us a joke about the creation of man where God baked the people in an oven and the white people were undercooked, black people were burnt, and brown people (like tongans) were cooked perfectly. Well Elder Rodgers told me that they have (or maybe had) an investigator who discribed the same joke but he was talking seriously and he thinks thats how people were created he even said it was in the bible. So that was funny and thats all I got.

Ok well I better go because I need to go and get wet in the rain so dont forget to document life back home with pictures and stuff so I dont miss anything and dont forget to not do anything stupid like getting yourself killed like LT. Dan said. Wow I cant believe that just came to me from forest gump. Anyways I love you guys and yeah thats all I got to say about that.
Love, Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment